गुरुवार, 23 अगस्त 2012

MORNING SHOW




                                                          MORNING SHOW
 



 


 





The 'morning show' of cinema at Allahabad fills me with many memories, good youthful memories when we boys from St Joseph's would flock to see the regular English cinema at reduced rates, at Palace cinema hall or Plaza Theater at civil lines, sometimes at Niranjan too , but mostly it was Palace or Plaza. It was a sort of get together of school friends. The one movie which I remember vividly was 'Beckett' starring Richard Burton and Peter O'toole, the performance of the two actors was discussed during the school. We went with much expectation to see 'Ice station Zebra', starring Rock Hudson but were disappointed by lack of action. Later Payal and Zhankar theaters too screened English movies, yes! 'Hawwai' starring Julia Andrews and Richard Harris and the famous Swedish actor who starred in most Bergman films, the film made an impact with its epic coverage and great acting by Julia Andrews and then there was this film of Richard Burton called 'Villain' I saw at Payal. There were westerns too 'El dorado' starring John Wayne and Robert Mitchum.
The first taste was with our Dad when he took us to Palace to see 'Count of mount of cristo' a film based on Alexander Dumas novel, then there was no looking back. We saw many hindi films too but the charm of English movie was unique; how can we forget the war movies-'Tobruk' starring Rock Hudson , 'Battle of Bulge' starring Robert Shaw.
These days too at Mumbai I go for morning shows sometimes, but that excitement is missing, it is just a routine feeling. The cost and gloss which has covered cinema going specially at multiplexes has robbed of its soul. It is so full of commerce and money making that that the wonderment of that youthful charm is lost
Or probably I am not in touch with changing times! What is there to expect from a generation which is overfed on cinema-DVD, TV, internet downloading, cinema for them is just a click away! But I remember the old times when we were young and so serious about cinema. It was never a costly affair, despite our economic constraint we managed a ticket of lower stalls. I seriously feel that cinema should be subsidized being a large medium of mass entertainment; but then how will the films earn 100 crore and more ! A disease afflicted cinema world these days. For me cinema is still a passion, have maintained to retain the childlike response to it. I still see cinema on Fridays and miss it when movies are not released, despite many theaters and shows , I still book tickets for hyped movies.
That tension, that expectation still grapples me which was there when I struggled to find a view to watch Dilip Kumar's 'Daag' during the Annual function of the Valmiki college near my house. Or still when as children we lined up to watch films on 16mm projector of my friend's father; films borrowed from 'chalchitra vibhag' Allahabad. The association continued in University as we looked forward to screening of film society where we were introduced to the masters and witnessed the innocence of 'The bicycle thieves', which prompted me to watch Ray and others. The journey continues for me as I still long for that elusive ' morning show'.

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें