शुक्रवार, 10 जून 2011

ALVIDA HUSAIN


ALVIDA      HUSAIN
I   had seen   Husain at the  Maganlal Dresswala’s shop at Marine Drive about 12 years ago, where  I  had gone  with my son to rent a Santa Clause dress for the Christmas  celebrations at his school. Husain was there to select  a peak cap for his car driver. I was so awe struck by his presence  that it did not register in me to at least talk to him. I have been his admirer and have always argued in his favour. Later, again I saw him at the Art Gallery at Flora Fountain where his work on Banaras was at  display. When his  troubles regarding painting Hindu Goddess  in nude started I sympathised with him because those opposing him did not understand his genius and treated him ordinarily , he was so prolific and yet unique and we did not realize his true worth, in his lifetime. By dying in London he has in a way replied to the insults and insinuations we hurled at him, now when his fame and popularity will soar with time  and the world will visit his graveyard in London and of course the many works we will rue our reactionary behaviour.
     I am not an Art critic but I regularly visit the Art Galleries of South Mumbai and do make an effort  to visit when works of imminent painters and Artists are on display. Some years ago works of Picasso were at display at the National gallery near Regal and it was at that time I assessed that it was unfair to call Husain as the Indian Picasso because  though both made contemporary Art  and Husain did make horses probably under the influence of Picasso but Husain’s choice and range of colours and his themes were so very varied. He represented  India in his paintings and his distinct colours and strokes set him apart .His colours are so fascinating that whenever I am near the Taj mahal Hotel at Colaba  I cannot curb the urge to visit the Reception counter and admire the orange-red mural made by Husain. Husain was topical too and expressed his appreciation in paint- Madhuri Dixit, Amitabh Bachhan, Raj Kapoor’s Henna, he painted all.  
     I always thought that his religion was Art and those who were against him should have judged him as an Indian and not as a   Muslim. One Newspaper has aptly titled its front page report on his death— ‘ Husain  lives  in  deathless Art ’.

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें